CPIA Career Resources
To post a plastics industry related job here contact us!
Current Job Postings:
Process Engineering Manager, Layfield Group Ltd., Richmond, BC
Posted Aug. 30, 2017
Layfield has an exciting and rewarding opportunity available for a Process Engineering Manager to join our dynamic Operations Team. This is a full-time, permanent position located in our Manufacturing Office in Richmond, BC.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Process Engineering Manager is a technically demanding position that supports process improvement / cost reduction programs, commercialization and product development efforts and interfaces with manufacturing with reference to capabilities.
Lean Services (Teach: Training & Coaching; Improve: Process Engineering & Kaizen)
◦ Establish a vision of World Class operations and drive a continuous effort across Layfield to improve our teams and our operational effectiveness.
◦ Provide process improvement and manufacturing leadership coaching/support.
◦ Establish and roll-out continuous improvement training for all Layfield business processes (Lean, ToC, Six Sigma, Quality Assurance).
◦ Coordinate a cross-functional and multi-site team of lean specialists.
◦ Provide direct process engineering and Kaizen event support.
◦ Develop and roll out lean programs such as 5S, Quick & Easy kaizen.
◦ Provide infrastructure and systems to maintain standardization, process control, and information sharing.
◦ Establish clear change management and standardization processes.
◦ Establish and report on MFG operational metrics and improvement metrics.
◦ Tabulating and analyzing performance of existing machinery.
◦ Systematic reduction of set-up times.
◦ Recommend standards for production rates - feed to estimating process.
◦ De-bottleneck output restrictions.
◦ De-bottleneck product restrictions (size, gauge).
◦ Act as a technical sounding board to sales for unusual or preliminary customer requirements.
◦ Remain abreast of developing technologies and make recommendations as appropriate.
◦ Remain abreast of Layfield’s production capabilities with respect to its competitors.
◦ Understand customer and requirements, end use of product.
◦ Analyse, interpret and respond appropriately to MIS reports.
◦ Continuously update production manuals, standards sheets, etc.
◦ Liase with estimating department to ensure that estimates reflect the most cost-effective method of quality production; update bills of material as required.
◦ Review 24-hour extrusion logs and address issues on a timely basis.
◦ Utilize shop floor data collection system; improve reporting as required.
◦ Assess equipment performance and make recommendations for new equipment purchases or upgrading and tool requirements.
◦ Work with maintenance and production departments in the design, specification and installation of new equipment.
Commercialization and Product Development
◦ Collaborates with sales team to develop commercial products.
◦ Supports new major account opportunities by offering superior technical support.
◦ Assesses customer requirements, determines potential solutions, and communicates proposed development path to key stakeholders.
◦ Proposes new product design concepts to stakeholders.
◦ Creates and develops technical dockets.
◦ Leads and supports staged gate commercialization process.
◦ Collaborates with internal stakeholders to design trial and experimentation that results in successful development of trial materials for testing at customer locations.
◦ Reports on trial customer and scale-up performance with applicable specification adjustments/enhancements and provides technical reports needed in the product design.
◦ Supports packaging business unit with IPF workflows in several locations around the world.
Skills and Qualifications
◦ University Degree in Engineering or equivalent
◦ Strong knowledge of lean principles and processes.
◦ Knowledge of extrusion processes.
◦ Knowledge of printing and converting of flexible materials
◦ Superb critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities
◦ Ability to travel internationally.
◦ Ability to develop and coach subordinates.
◦ Highly organized and able to multi-task.
◦ Strong written and verbal communication skills.
◦ Driven, self-starter with superb interpersonal skills.
◦ Intermediate Microsoft Office Suite skills.
◦ Minimum five (5) years Engineering and/or Quality Control experience.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume to careers @ layfieldgroup.com.
To learn more about Layfield, please visit our website at www.layfieldgroup.com
Following are additional 3rd party resources for those seeking careers or career information in the plastics industry: